Sunday, February 14, 2010

Olympic Fever



Guest post by Daddy:

Is there a doctor in the house? Cause I got Olympic Fever!!

That was cheesy.

I do love the Olympics though, especially the winter Olympics. I have ever since I was a little kid. Aerials, speed skating, moguls, skeleton, the biathlon...I'd sit and watch them all day, sadly. I've been reminding my wife and her family all about how really nerdy I am when I can not only readily identify all of the leading athletes in these events, but call them by their nicknames, if any, and relate bits of their life stories.

"No way, that's Ole Einar Beorndalen! He's gotta be the favorite in this event. Remember that picture of him winning the 10k sprint in Torino with that huge snotsicle hanging off his chin?"
"Uh, no."

Or,

"I guess Johnny Moseley makes a pretty good commentator. Anyone going to do the Dinner Roll this year?"
"The what?"

Or,

"Man, it's cool that the Germans can still win the men's luge without the Flying White Sausage on the team this year."
"The what?"
"You know, Georg Hackl, the flying white sausage? But don't call him that to his face 'cause he really doesn't like it. The Germans had these white uniforms you see...and...and..."
"Whatev, dude."

It's great. It's even better when I'm sitting next to my brother in law, who can't believe that I can only count on one hand the number of players in the NBA, NFL and all college sports combined whose names I recognize. Lebron who? And HOW much does he make per game?

0 comments: