Friday, July 16, 2010

Guess what Mommy did?!

She ran in a 5K. That's right. You read the words correctly. SHE RAN IN A 5K. I think I remember hearing her say that running in any type of race was never going to be on her list of things to do. Well too bad because she could have crossed something off!


You see, back in the summer of 2008 family friends suffered the tragic loss of their eldest daughter, Chelsi. Chelsi was special. She used to do gymnastics with Aunt Angie and lived across the street. Her mom and grandpa went to high school together. Chelsi was a gifted athlete and extremely driven. As a freshman at BYU, she was one of their top performing track stars in the decathlon. In fact, I think she wanted to go to the Olympics. Unfortunately, she was killed in a car wreck just before her 21st birthday. To honor her, family and friends organized a 5k memory run/walk on her birthday, July 15. And every summer since then (okay so this is just the THIRD race) they hold it. What makes it neat is that it's around Grandma's neighborhood. Two loops is exactly a 5k. It was meant to be. This year Mommy had agreed to do the run, but was really sidetracked by vacations and wasn't really focusing on running so much as doing strength training routines at the gym. Needless to say, she almost didn't do the run, but she came through.

Her time wasn't great. 31 minutes exactly.
It was still 100 degrees outside at 10:00 p.m. (Oddly, even Daddy didn't realize it. It just didn't FEEL that hot.)
And Daddy left her in the dust even though he promised to run with her. (He was even pushing the stroller!)
But it was fun.
Grandma, Uncle Eric, and Aunt Becca did it with us.

Three hot mamas (okay two hot mamas and a babe) before the race.

Mommy holding me at the end of the race as I told her "Mommy I so proud of you!"

The family portrait. (Not pictured: Cara...asleep in the stroller.)

And some silly fun after rehydrating.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Good for you Sheri! Our RS did a 5K walk/run back in May. I wasn't brave enough to run it so I walked it... my time was way worse than yours 62 minutes. I'm so impressed that you did it! That gives me courage to do the one that will be in November this year... i think....