Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Uncle Marty is now Missionary Marty

Guest post by Mommy.

Today was my wonderful husband's birthday, but I'll let my girls description of him stand for now. I'd rather write to you about my little brother. My little brother is not so "little" anymore. Actually, he's been taller than me for quite some time, but today it is even more than that. Today my brother left on his mission to the Missouri St. Louis mission. He entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo at 1:00 p.m this afternoon.

The girls and I were privileged to drive down and eat lunch with my parents, Uncle Eric, and "Missionary Marty" before he went off on his adventure. I'll admit that I expected to cry more, but I managed to only let a few tears spill out as I watched him sitting in the back seat as the car pulled out of the Pizza Factory parking lot. You see, the MTC has changed its rules. There is no big presentation for families to go and sit through. Now, one car enters the MTC with the missionary and whomever inside. You help them with their luggage and hug good bye at the curb. They've found it works out better for everyone. Since my girls and I couldn't possibly fit in the car with my parents, we said our goodbye a little bit earlier. For those of you who read this blog and are not familiar with what I am talking about, the LDS church sends worthy boys out on a 2 year mission when they are 19. You have to request to go, be worthy, and then accept a call ANYWHERE in the world. You don't pick. The Lord assigns you. You are gone for two years with letters written hopefully every week and phone calls on Christmas and Mother's Day being your only contact with family. No visits. It sounds crazy, but for two years these boys (and girls when they are 21 years old) spend 24 hours a day in the service of the Lord. By choice. This is the reason I cried today. As I hugged my brother good bye, I tried to tell him that I was so proud of him and of course as I said the word proud my composure broke. Because I am proud. (I might have forgotten to say I love you, but I sure hope he knows it!) I am proud to be the older sister of a 19 year old who has made choices for his entire teenage years that brought him to this place. He chose to give the Lord two full years of his life. There will be no distractions. He will go out and give of his talents, his love, his knowledge, his hope, and ALL of his time. I think of what most 19 year olds are doing...what I was doing at 19, and I am awed that he has made this decision. He's not alone. There were well over a hundred missionaries entering the MTC today, but I don't care. It's still a big thing. It's still worth telling the world that he's MY brother and he is amazing. No matter what faith you ascribe to, what he has started today is a great and inspiring commitment. As corny as it is, he left us a boy and in two years will come back a man. A man ready to take on the challenge of starting college and picking a career, possibly starting a family and all that that entails. Of course calling him a boy doesn't quite fit. He's more mature than that already, but he will still conquer mountains over the next two years that help him grow faster than if he was here with us.

And so good luck Elder Larsen. We will all be praying for your every day that you are on this path.

I LOVE YOU!

1 comments:

Gordon's Blog said...

I couldn't have said it better. Good job Sheri!