Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Kokopelli

It came! It really came. Mom and my race really came. And so did a storm. That dropped the temperature and made it windy and cold. AHHH! We still get up and loaded the Prius with our bikes (okay Dad did that last night). It was dark when we got up and it was slightly sprinkling. We both really wanted to back out, but we didn't. We warmed up in the car and got ourselves to the race.

We had to kind of psych ourselves up so we took selfies and got our leg markings. In a cruel twist, the kids race is actually first. So JUST as the sun was rising and starting to warm us up even slightly, the kids had to be suited up and ready to get wet. Luckily the water was almost 80 degrees.



I was nervous, but then I saw the buoy I was aiming for and it wasn't really that far. I knew I could do it and Mom was there screaming and yelling for me the whole time. (Her favorite part was when I literally muscled my way around some kids as the horn sounded and started my swim!)







It was GREAT! And I took third in my age division for girls. I even charged ahead of one girl right at the end of the race to get third instead of fourth!



Then it was Mom's turn. Dad showed up with the other kids just in time to send her off and grab me! Because in a weird twist of fate, I had my first rehearsal for a play I had been cast in! Somehow we don't have any pictures of that so I'll have to fill in that detail later!

Grandma and Grandpa made it to cheer Mom on. In fact, they pulled up the road just as Mom started her run and happened to see her!



These were our finishing times.


Mom was pretty proud of herself although she wishes she had looked up Grandpa's time from last year because she would have run faster. I can't remember right now, but I think that she missed beating him by like 30 seconds or something.


FINISHERS!!!!



And a well deserved nap. Oh wait. That's Sam. That's okay. He deserves a nap almost every day. Being almost two is exhausting.


0 comments: