Monday, April 18, 2011

Another year older...

Guest Post by Mommy:

So as it turns out I'm not as gung ho about getting older as I thought. I haven't been in a great mood as my birthday approached anyway (despite all the fun that surrounded my Dad's awesome birthday). Life had kind of beaten me down and so I was more inclined to just pretend the 18th of April didn't even exist. So much so that I am actually doing this post on the 19th because I didn't want to acknowledge my birthday. I will be changing the date on the post though so that for historical purposes this post will be reflected on the appropriate day. Sorry that was kind of convoluted. Anyway back to getting older and wanting to just kind of not exist for the past week. I had been repeatedly asked by family what I wanted to do for my birthday and when I wanted to celebrate and basically I was just evasive and wouldn't commit. Part of it, as it turns out, was that 27 is a lot closer to 30 than I was really prepared to think about. My sweet husband tried to warn me of this and I remember him saying something about 27 but I guess you're never really prepared for it to be you.

Luckily, my awesome sister in law, Rachel, and her three kids arrived on Sunday and helped pull me out of my funk. (The next post will be dedicated to the fun we've had.) She insisted on a cake, we got my family over here during the afternoon and I got a lot of presents! I really felt loved (despite the lack of facebook happy birthdays.)





Rachel made a delicious cake and then kept my kiddos occupied while Pete and I wandered (literally...we walked) to our favorite eatery (Pizza Factory express anyone?)




All said and done...it was a terrific birthday despite the fact that was grey and overcast and the five cousins all were crying at separate times throughout the day. I think I'll be okay. I can handle 27. I have a house and two BEAUTIFUL and very silly girlies. Like my brother's girlfriend said to me (remember Marty is on a mission): "Well at least you have life all figured out! You've already picked who you're going to marry and married him!"

4 comments:

Jen said...

You are so funny! I was just the opposite about my birthday. I was so excited to turn 30! I told everybody for months that I was going to be 30 soon. But then nobody offered to throw me a party. And nobody made surprise plans with Jeff. And then nobody came to the party I threw for myself. The only good part of the day was that the Baileys came by that evening to celebrate. So I felt really loved by them. I was all set for a huge celebration and it was kind of a downer. I think it's much better to do it your way... be bummed out about it and then have it turn out way over your expectations! ;)

Sheri said...

Well we would have come if we had been there! I say we re do your 30th birthday and make it big.

KimberlyGanir said...

Hey, 27 is nothing, try 32!! But yeah, just look at all you have accomplished. At least you're not single and have no clue what you're doing with your life. Happy belated Birthday!!

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Happy birthday, Sheri! I remember 27 being kind of rough, as well. 29 this year? It was just depressing. Like I really felt just old. Yuck. Being married to the man you wanted to marry is a perk I don't think of often, but I should. :)