Monday, September 21, 2015

Mom and Dad do Cancun!

Guest post by Mom:

This year Pete and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary. I wanted to do something kind of big and so in March I booked a trip to Cancun for a whole week in mid September. I then found out I was pregnant. Oh well! I didn't mean to be quite so pregnant on this trip, but luckily I have had a very uneventful pregnancy with only a skin irritation as my biggest complaint.

I consider myself VERY lucky to have such wonderful family that lives in our same city. It really wouldn't have been so easy to take off from my three girlies without my sisters and Mom.

Pete and I drove to Vegas at 7:30 am on Saturday the 12th. This was only stressful because my sister, Becca, who was to be the main caretaker for the week, was competing in her first triathlon that morning and then both of my big girls had their first soccer games later! Luckily, it all went pretty smoothly. We dropped the girls off with a very tearful farewell between me and Siena and Cara. I was pretty shocked at how much they cried, but I'm pretty sure none of us were crying even 5 minutes later.

We sent obligatory selfies of us getting on planes


And they sent us the happy faces of the cheerleaders at the triathlon.


We spent all of Saturday traveling. We flew from Vegas to Phoenix and then Phoenix to Cancun. It all went nice and smooth. Our layovers seem to be the perfect length and we arrived in the dark in Cancun despite the fact that it was only 7 pm. The humid heat just hung on us, but we eventually made our way to our hotel/condo Coral Mar on a VERY quiet dead end residential street. We were a fair distance away from Hotel Zone which eventually created some unique travel situations, but we were pretty pleased with our unit. It had a full kitchen and a separate bedroom and a great bathroom.

Sunday found us checking out the beaches on Hotel Zone. Technically, we were traveling at the peak of hurricane season which I think means that it was really off season for the tourists. There were plenty of people there, but you could tell that it was only about 50 % off the people you might expect. Also the ocean was experiencing a weird phenomenon with a sea plant called sargassum which was EVERYWHERE. It was kind of off putting.


Pete has started doing yoga on a regular basis during the week which led to a minor obsession with headstands while we were there.




It was quite hot and by about 2 pm we were ready to go find the local Wal-mart and head back to our apartment. That was quite the experience, but we really appreciated having food at the house especially for breakfasts. Like I said, we were off the beaten path.


We wound down the day by reading lagoon-side and just enjoying each other's company.


To be continued....

0 comments: